Site Questions for Administrator

Forums General Site Questions for Administrator

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cchippscchipps
    Participant

I don’t know about others but I find myself asking questions about this site and thought I would post some of them here.

Map: What do the different lit colors on the map indicate?
    Visitors: What are Bots?
    Profile: I thought I filled in all the information but I’m still not showing 100%. What am I missing?
    Posting articles: I have a couple of old articles on John Olson, who used to own and operate Cryogenic Laboratories, Inc. It has information that could be interesting to adult donor conceived and their parents because it mentions having different collection sites in the country and being in operation since 1970. Where is the best place to post these articles?

Profile photo of wmdoranwmdoran
    Participant

Regarding the Profile Progression bar (% Complete). I got mine to 100% by Editing my Profile and going through each tab. As the site grows/evolves Fields may be changed or added/removed. If you show less than 100% you should comb through your Profile and see what you’re missing. If you can’t answer a field (i.e. Military Experience) just put ’N/A’ or a ’-’.

Profile photo of AdminAdmin

Map: Visitors have Red/yellow location pins. Search bots will have blue location pins. Registered users who are logged in will have green location pins.

Bots: google, facebook, and other sites have bots that comb all sites on the internet indexing information for search engines. It’s a normal activity for any site. Any malicious bots are kept out by our security settings.

Profile: There may be some fields that you did not fill out. I am looking at reducing the number of fields so the % completion is more realistic/attainable. Anything over 60% is pretty good.

I would post the articles for Cryogenic Laboratories Inc. on the group you created. That is where the information is most effective and relevant. You could always post it in more than one place such as the group and the forums and/or on your profile. Any public comments made show up on the Activity feed that all members can read.

I added these questions/answers to the FAQ page. Thanks!

http://donorchildren.com/faq

Good questions! I’ll update the FAQ page with some of these questions.

Participant
      More questions.

1. How do I close a forum topic if it is no longer valid?
      2. If I have an article, document, etc. that is something I want people to see first within a topic, how do I post it? It is something I have on my own computer/pad. Is there something I can do and if so, what is it.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for your questions, I will post them with the answers on the FAQ page.

1. At this point in time you cannot close a topic. Will keep this in mind for future upgrades to the site. You can however ‘unsubscribe’ from the thread if you wish to stop receiving notices.
    2. At this point in time, unfortunately the only way to reference an image or file is by using the ‘link’ or ‘img’ buttons when posting. This means you will have to load the image elsewhere publicly such as Flickr, Facebook, etc. This is another upgrade we will keep in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

Participant

More questions. Every time I choose the most recent memberships I get the most recent but after I click on one and return, it reverts to most recent active and not back to most recent memberships. Any way to change it so it allows a searcher to go to the next “newest” member?

Yes, I am checking everyone out to verify they aren’t a potential match to my daughter.

Thank you whether or not you can fix this.

Chris

I don’t have a way to change that at the moment so the default is Newest instead of Recently Active. I will suggest to you two things: use the Find Matches button to search for specific profile field matches. You can also use the search tool at the top of every page and filter Members, Groups, or Posts. The 2nd thing you can do is have one browser tab open with the Newest Members shown, then right-click on your mouse on each name one at a time and click “Open in New Tab”. This will open the members profile in a new tab and allow you to do it all in one sitting rather than going back the Members page after viewing each one. Hope that makes sense and helps!

Participant

Thanks, Admin. Sorry I’ve been absent. Bought a new car using 401(k) funds (it’s OK – I don’t get penalized after 59-1/2, just have to pay taxes). I am loving it. It has all the bells and whistles even though it isn’t something horribly expensive. My husband and I are really happy with the purchase so I’ve been busy learning about OnStar, remote start, links, etc…

Profile photo of Kisha921Kisha921
    Participant

I would like to obtain “friends” on this site however having difficulty seeing their profiles without going into each and every profile which can be quite time consuming. Is there a way to see profiles and request friendships? I don’t want to request a friendship with someone who would not be interested based upon what are intent is on this site. Thanks!

Participant

Kisha,

I would be very happy if you friended me. You might not take the same stance as I do but I cherish knowing everyone in this community. Everyone has the right to speak their feelings about this practice.

Chris

@kisha921 Thanks for the question! At this time we are a basic social networking site. As we grow we will improve the site. We do not have a ‘Suggested Friends’ feature. The best way to find other members that you may want to add to your Friends is to go to the Members page, click ‘Find Matches’, and search the members based on the criteria you want in your Friends. You can then add each of them as a friend easily.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.